Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2008

Who Am I?

Edward Raub

1) Who am I? I am a Native American transplanted in Alaska from Seattle Washington. I am also a professional artist and college student at the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau.
2) Am I creative? Yes, I have created several types of art using centuries old designs and modifying them to be formatted into contemporary art pieces. Northwest Coast Art is a multi billion dollar business based on a culture and in most cases turned into an industry of mass reproduction pieces for tourism.
3) In what ways am I creative? I can go to any city with just a pocket knife and by using slats of wood from pallets taken from any site in the city and carve a piece of art that will pay for hotels, meals and transportation within a 24 hour period. And within 5 days I will have enough to rent an apartment without have to stray from the creative art process by obtaining other traditional forms of employment.
4) In what ways am I not creative? When I sit and watch tv.
5) How and where has creativity been encouraged in my life? When I was 8 years old my science teacher gave me a set of instructions to build a 2 inch refractor telescope. It took me 4 days to complete.
6) How and where has creativity been discouraged in my life? When I was a foster child living with the catholics, they broke my fingers when I drew Native American designs. I’ve had sixteen bones broken in both hands over a period of 7 years when I was a child.
7) Am I an artist? Yes, carver, painter, print maker, Native singer and dancer.

1 comment:

Porcupinewoman goes to school said...

Glad you can find the "Making" anywhere you go Ed....
I have only carved wood once... hope to do it again....SueAnn